Tuesday, 1 April 2014

A- Z Challenge - A is for Artist

A is for ARTIST. I do not see myself as an artist if I begin to compare myself with other people, or if I have a definition about what an artist is. So it is just a matter of where I am looking from and what I am looking at, and how good I think I have to be at something. Memories arise of sitting in my auntie's kitchen colouring something in. I am enjoying it, and show it to her, wanting praise, admiration, but I don't get it. Instead she points out that I have gone outside the lines. I look, but cannot see that and say that I have not. The mood is different now, gone is the enjoyment, replaced with disappointment. I wonder if she ever coloured in anything as an adult. I do. I treated myself to a colouring book filled with Crystal Skull designs- Wonderful, and I use mygood quality glitter pens too. My sister in law laughed when I told her about it..I wonder what she found funny..didn't mention the crystal skulls..maybe something inside her burst open, broke free that day, maybe she realised adults can play with colouring books too. I have another 'A'- are we allowed more than one A or is that going outside the lines. This is an artist whose name begins with A- Alexia Sinclair. I watched a short video of her creating a piece of art and felt a yearning to be able to do something like that, a wishing that I had an inherent talent, but as someone once said- can you be glad that there are pieces of art like that in the world...yes

4 comments:

  1. I have to wonder, how boring would this Earth be if we all stayed inside the lines? Do what makes you happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Melissa, some of the best art, was never meant to stay inside the lines...artists, creative people, don't do lines, rules or boxes, sure we learn them...but that's only so that we can break them spectacularly...best of luck with the A to Z, looking forward to more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to love colouring in with my kids...never thought of buying a colouring in book just for me...good idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love colouring books too. There's some very intricate ones available, designed more for adults. I'm not an artist but I do love to mess around with my pencils and paints. I know I don't have much talent but that doesn't matter! I shall watch out for Alexia Sinclair. I like watching artists at work.

    ReplyDelete